Our volunteer drivers deliver hot, nutritious meals every weekday to seniors in Contra Costa County that are homebound and unable to cook or shop for themselves. The visit also serves as a health and wellness check and a social connection.
WHAT DOES A HOME MEAL DELIVERY DRIVER DO?
- Detailed driving directions are included along with each meal. You’ll use your own car and must carry personal liability insurance and a smartphone.
- A meal delivery route is ideal for a church or service group, so that each member drives just a few times a year, or more often if they wish.
- If you are pressed for time, you can sign up to be a substitute Meals on Wheels driver. We would call you when a regular driver isn’t available.
Our Adopt-A-Route program was developed to expand our volunteer base by tailoring the volunteer commitment to fit the needs of volunteers in the workplace. When a company signs up for Adopt-A-Route, a group of co-workers band together to assume responsibility for a route in close proximity to the place of business on a weekly basis. Adopt-A-Route volunteers take turns delivering meals each week during their lunch hour. With a recommended team of 8-10 members (including a team coordinator) each volunteer gives up just one lunch hour per month, or every eight weeks if they are driving solo. This minimal commitment works well within the schedule of the busy workday and employees enjoy the time serving their local community.
Each route needs a driver and a server each day. When you “adopt-a-route” as a MOWDR business support partner you are agreeing to provide volunteers each week on the weekday of your choice. On your route day, employee volunteers go to that site to pick up the food containers. Using one of their own vehicles, the volunteers then deliver meals to up to 16 in-need community members during the 10:30-1:00 pm window. Requirements include: an application and background check for each team member and completion of our orientation which can be given at your site or MOWDR headquarters in Walnut Creek. The final step is a ride-along with a regular meal delivery volunteer. Your team coordinator would then schedule team members accordingly, and just like that…you are making a difference in the world.
THREE EASY WAYS TO BECOME A MOW DIABLO REGION VOLUNTEER!
- You can apply online
- Download the Volunteer Application form and fax it to 925.946.1869
- Contact Lee Davenport, Volunteer Development Associate at 925.954.8736 or email@example.com