As of October 1, 2021, Meals on Wheels Diablo Region required all staff to be fully vaccinated. In light of the Delta variant, we have a responsibility to protect our vulnerable senior clients. Even with this new policy in place, we will still be practicing Covid-19 safety measures.
In addition to our new policy, I wanted to share some updated with you regarding our delivery and services.
- Meal deliveries remain uninterrupted.
- Drivers continue to leave the meal on the senior's porch, ring the doorbell, and then to back away and watch the client get the meal.
- Clients are receiving 7 meals delivered every week.
- The new Grocery Bag program, in partnership with the Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano, continues for clients who can prepare a meal, but can't pick it up at the Food Bank.
- The new Breakfast Bag program continues to provide a week's worth of healthy breakfasts to our most food-insecure clients.
- Cafés have reopened on a limited basis. Proof of vaccination is required. Five frozen meals are still available for pick-up once a week. Reservations for attendance and pick-up are required. Call 925.395.4218.
- The Friendly Visitors program is gradually resuming in-home visits for vaccinated seniors and volunteers.
- Volunteers with the Friendly Callers program continue to make calls to any interested senior as they have since the program began in 2016.
- We continue to offer Friendly Helpers for those seniors who need someone to pick up a prescription, go to the supermarket or post office, or need help with other errands.
- Our Health and Wellness classes are being offered outside at limited locations. Contact Eileen Stephens at 925.482.2622 or email@example.com.
- Fall Prevention education and exercise classes are available online, over Zoom. Tablets are available to facilitate participation in online classes.
- We are still providing Fall Prevention Home Safety Modifications to seniors, 60 or older.
- All individuals interested in Home Safety Modifications must complete a COVID screener prior to scheduling in-home appointments by our fully vaccinated team. We require all parties to wear a mask and practice social distancing during visits by our team.
- Our Care Management department is still providing case management and crisis management services, both in person and over the phone.
- We are providing information to the seniors we serve about when and how they can get vaccinated.
- Volunteers are needed in Antioch, Brentwood, Pittsburg, and Bay Fair. If you are interested in volunteering, please apply online.
These measures have strained our resources and we could use your help. Please consider giving us a gift today. Thank you for all you do to help seniors in our community every day. We need you now more than ever.
As the Covid-19 public health emergency continues to evolve, MOW Diablo Region remains committed to monitoring the situation and updating our clients, community partners, and staff with the latest recommendations and resources. The FAQs below answer your questions about meal production and deliveries and the safety of our senior clients and volunteers. Please visit www.coronavirus.cchealth.org for the latest information and public health resources.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Will Meals on Wheels Diablo Region continue to deliver my meals?
Your meals will continue to be delivered, but it may not be from your usual driver. We have now begun a process of social distancing. The driver will ring your bell or knock at the door and step at least six feet away while you come out and retrieve your meal. If you do not answer, we will call you, but if there is no answer, we cannot leave your meal.
What are you doing to protect me from COVID-19?
Your health and that of our volunteers is of utmost importance. No volunteer will be allowed to deliver meals if they are showing any symptoms of cold or fever. Your meal will be delivered in a special bag to ensure that it remains free from germs. Our volunteers have been provided with gloves and hand sanitizer. They will be standing at least 6 feet away, so handshakes and hugs are not allowed.
I’m in need of other supplies? Is there a way to get them from you?
The community has been very generous in providing non-food essentials. Please let us know what you need and we will try to accommodate your request. Remember, the only food that will be delivered will be your meal, although we can deliver food for your dog and cat if you need it.
Hear why frontline volunteer William feels that it is important to give back—especially now.